'White collar' boxer death caused by diet drugs

Lance Ferguson-Prayogg Image copyright K.Radcliffe Photography
Image caption The inquest heard Lance Ferguson-Prayogg had a partner and young daughter

The death of a boxer who collapsed after a "white collar" match was partly caused by a fat burning drug he took, an inquest has concluded.

Lance Ferguson-Prayogg, from Liverpool, died from kidney failure two days after the fight in Nottingham in June 2014.

The hearing was told tubs of T5 were found at the 32-year-old's house.

Ruling the death drug-related, assistant coroner Jane Gillespie called the legal but unregulated substances "extremely dangerous".

The inquest at Nottingham Coroners Court heard "white collar" boxing is an unlicensed and unregulated - though not illegal - form of the sport where part-time fighters compete for cash prizes.

Image copyright K.Radcliffe Photography
Image caption Drugs of the type Lance Ferguson-Prayogg had taken were difficult to test for, the inquest heard

Privately hired paramedics who staffed the event said Mr Ferguson-Prayogg seemed fit and well before and during the match.

However, he began to breath erratically as he left the ring and soon collapsed, with paramedics battling to keep him breathing.

After being placed in a coma, he suffered kidney failure and then cardiac arrest.

A pathology report found the rapid acidification of blood from broken down fat, combined with lactic acid from exercise, was the most likely cause.

However, it said it was "impossible to say" whether Mr Ferguson-Prayogg would have died if he had not gone into the ring.

Members of Mr Ferguson-Prayogg's family wept as Ms Gillespie read out her judgement.

She said: "By coincidence, warnings about these kinds of drugs have been in the media recently.

"I cannot emphasise enough how strongly I now add my voice to these sentiments.

"These drugs are easily available on the internet but they are unregulated and extremely dangerous."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites