Northampton baby died while in bed with mother

A 26-day-old baby boy died while sleeping in a bed with his mother, an inquest has heard.

Justin Rogalev's mother woke to find him not breathing and covered in blood at their Northampton home in the early hours of 27 March.

The cause of death was given as a pulmonary haemorrhage.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Coroner Ann Pember warned parents of the danger of sleeping in a bed with a baby.

A statement from the child's mother, read at the inquest, said that she put the child to rest in her bed with her.

She said she woke briefly when the baby was gurgling but fed him and went back to sleep.

'Covered in blood'

When she woke again at 0130 she said she noticed that the baby was quiet.

She said: "He wasn't making any noise. I took his hand, it was cold. I turned on the lamp and saw his face was covered in blood."

Paramedics were called to the house at Baronson Gardens. They tried basic life support and took the baby to Northampton General Hospital but he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.