Wellingborough Council to outsource services

Money saving plans to transfer the running of many council-run services in Wellingborough to a private company have been agreed by the council.

The Norse Group will work with the council to run services including waste collection and street cleaning.

Responsibility for grounds maintenance, cemeteries, and conveniences will also be transferred.

The council said the agreement would save it about £2m over five years.

'Cost effective'

The joint venture between the company and the council will be known as Wellingborough Norse, with Norse taking an 80% share and Wellingborough Council taking the remaining 20% share.

Council leader Paul Bell said it was a large transfer of services but the agreement would save money.

"What we're proposing by setting up this joint company is that the wide range of duties carried out by our environmental services teams continue, with the same employees, but the systems behind the work are more streamlined and cost effective."

The agreement, which will run for 10 years, could be in place in January.

Peter Hawes, managing director of Norse Commercial Services, said he was excited about the partnership.

"We are really looking forward to working in genuine partnership with Wellingborough Council and jointly developing plans for cost reduction, income generation and employment stability and growth," he said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites