Warning over rise in algae levels at Daventry reservoir
Levels of a potentially toxic algae found in a Northamptonshire reservoir have increased in recent days.
Daventry Council issued a warning last month over the presence of blue green algae at Daventry Country Park.
The organisms develop naturally but can cause illness to people and animals who come into contact with it.
The council said the algae had now increased considerably and dog owners were urged to keep pets on a lead at all times when in the park.
John Harris, from the council, said: "The algae has become more concentrated in the past few days and so we need to raise awareness of potential risk of illness to dogs that may come into contact with it at the water's edge."
The council said it could not predict how long the algae will remain in the reservoir, but it is expected to dissolve naturally.