Peter Miller Great Yarmouth 'flawed' murder probe inquiry sought

Peter Miller Image copyright Tony Miller
Image caption Peter Miller was killed in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, on 9 December 1984

A man who found the body of his murdered brother 30 years ago has called for an inquiry into the original police probe, after it emerged evidence was destroyed just seven years later.

Peter Miller, 24, was found stabbed in Camden Place, Great Yarmouth, in 1984.

His brother Tony, now 53, said the case was "flawed" and has met MP Brandon Lewis, who has pledged to help him.

Norfolk Police said forensic review opportunities had been limited by the destruction, but the case remains open.

Mr Miller was found stabbed on the kitchen floor of the family home on Sunday, 9 December, 1984.

He had last been seen by a neighbour in the afternoon,

His brother Tony, a plumber in Gorleston, was originally arrested over the death, but released soon afterwards.

Investigations then led to a number of other arrests, but no-one was ever charged.

Image caption Police carried out investigations in Camden Place
Image caption But 30 years on, police are no closer to finding Peter Miller's killer

Fresh information in 2013 led to a "sharp implement" being uncovered and officers re-appealed to find a woman who called police soon after the killing. However, the case has failed to be taken forward.

Mr Miller said the investigation initially moved at a fast pace, but slowed significantly after the town was rocked 10 months later, by the abduction and murder of three-year-old Leoni Keating. Her killer was jailed in 1986.

Mr Miller claims he has been "fobbed off" by police for many years and recently discovered some of case's evidence was destroyed in 1991.

He believes there were many "missed opportunities", with neighbours telling him officers did not collect formal statements from them in the 1980s, despite pledges they would.

Image caption Police searched for evidence following the death
Image caption But the murder weapon has yet to be found

The only way anyone will ever be convicted is if they confess, Mr Miller claims.

"It's left me angry, frustrated, I've pushed and pushed on my own most of the time to get this case recognised," he said.

"You stay as open-minded as possible, but it does become difficult.

"You get your hopes up, but then you stay back from it because you have to prepare yourself, because I've been let down so many times.

"I just want closure for my mum, who's now in her mid-80s. I need to get it cleared up because it's also affecting my health.

Image caption Tony Miller says he has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder

"The biggest problem is to get police to admit to their faults."

In a statement, Norfolk Police said: "Case evidence and papers including all statements and the full inquest papers for the murder of Peter Miller are still held by the unsolved case inquiry team and the inquiry remains open.

"However, the exhibits held in the investigation were either returned to their respective owners, or destroyed by the end of 1991.

"The circumstances behind this fact are not clear as records do not provide any details of any decisions taken at that time.

"However, whilst this may have limited the forensic review opportunities, it has not prevented the unsolved case team from progressing any new information with a view to bringing a resolution to the case."

Great Yarmouth Conservative MP Brandon Lewis said he would look into the case, adding: "I can't imagine what it's like for Tony and his family 30 years on to not have any answers, so I'll do whatever I can to help them."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites