Johanna Young 1992 murder: Parents in fresh appeal

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionAs Kim Riley reports, Johanna Young's parents have made a fresh appeal for help to find her killer

The parents of a schoolgirl murdered over Christmas 21 years ago have issued a new plea for help to find her killer.

Johanna Young was 14 when she went missing from her family home in Watton, Norfolk, on 23 December 1992.

Her body was found partially clothed, covered in scratches and lying face down in water on Boxing Day.

Despite extensive inquiries in the town and DNA evidence, her killer has never been traced.

Her parents Carol and Robert Young decided make a new appeal on the 21st anniversary of Johanna's disappearance.

Mrs Young, 58, said: "We do celebrate Christmas but it's never quite the same.

"We tried to carry on for the sake of our other children, and as a family we just continue the best we can, but Johanna is in our thoughts all the time."

Mr Young, 60, described Johanna as "full of fun and always up to tricks".

"She was a typical teenager who could make friends with anybody," he added.

The family presumed Johanna had stayed at her boyfriend's parents' home because the night she disappeared had been very foggy.

Image caption Carol and Robert Young still hope the killer of their daughter Johanna will be found

Her alarm clock went off at 06:00 GMT on Christmas Eve as she was due to go on her paper round, and the police were then called.

Officers searched the town and surrounding countryside in the hope of finding her alive.

After her body was recovered, investigations targeted local men and although three people were arrested and questioned, no charges were brought.

'Fractured skull'

Appealing for the killer or anyone with information to come forward, Mrs Young said: "How can they keep quiet? I just don't know how you can.

"Whoever it is probably has children of their own now - how would they feel?

"We need closure and we need justice for our daughter.

"We don't want any other parents to have to go through the hell we've experienced."

The last known sightings of Johanna were on the evening of 23 December between 19:30 and 20:45 GMT when she was seen heading towards Watton town centre.

Three days after she disappeared, a dog walker found one of Johanna's trainers in undergrowth near Griston Road in the town.

Police searched the area and found her body nearby.

She was covered in scratches and a post-mortem examination found she died from drowning and a fractured skull.

There was no evidence of a sexual motive.

Det Insp Marie James said: "Twenty-one years have gone by since Johanna's death and we hope that people, who may not have not been prepared to come forward on the original investigation, may now feel strong enough to do so."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites