British paraglider 'robbed and killed' on Mongolia trek

Steve Nash Image copyright Cross Country
Image caption Steve Nash had been flying since 1990 and had competed in several extreme adventure races

A British paraglider has been "robbed and killed" on a flying expedition in Mongolia, his friend has said.

Steve Nash, 53, was attacked on 31 August while travelling in the Khangai mountains, Malcolm Grace told Cross Country Magazine.

Mr Nash, from Helsby, Cheshire, had been hiking with a friend, but went on alone after his companion was injured.

The Foreign Office said it was in touch "with Mongolian authorities regarding the death of a British national".

Mr Grace said Mr Nash and his friend Gareth Aston had been halfway through their hiking and paragliding trip from Uliastai to Tsetserleg, which lie west of the country's capital Ulaanbaatar.

Experienced paraglider

He said he and Mr Nash's wife Shirley had become concerned when the 53-year-old's satellite tracking device had not updated and "showed him stopped in the middle of a valley".

"Some hours later, we got the devastating news from Gareth that Steve had been killed and robbed.

"His passport and his money were missing. Everything else was still there, including his paraglider packed in his backpack."

Image caption Mr Nash was travelling west of Tsetserleg when he was attacked, Malcolm Grace said

Mr Nash was an experienced paraglider, who had been flying since 1990 and had competed in several extreme adventure races.

Mr Grace said the pair had tried to make the trip 10 years ago, but had been "thwarted by poor weather and strong winds".

"In August this year they were going back to try again - this time armed with more experience, lighter hike-and-fly equipment, and by choosing to go one month earlier than last time, hoping for better conditions."

Image copyright Family of Steve Nash
Image caption Mr Nash's family said he was an "experienced adventure paragliding pilot"

He said Mr Nash had decided to continue with his journey after Mr Aston had to retire due to a recurrence of an old injury.

He added that the 53-year-old had had a week's worth of food with him and been well prepared for the trip.

An investigation by the Mongolian authorities into Mr Nash's death has begun.

A statement released by his family said he was on his second Spiralling the Steppes adventure to Mongolia when they were informed that he had died.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites