Firefighters 'called twice' over Maghull chip pan blaze
Firefighters were called to the house next door to where a serious chip pan fire was under way but left without spotting any danger, a report found.
School dinner lady Keli Morgan, 44, and husband Joe Morgan, 41, died following the blaze at Bridge Farm Drive, Maghull, at 11:00 GMT on Saturday.
Firefighters had already searched next door after the occupants reported smoke but the source was not found.
It was only after being called back that Mr and Mrs Morgan were discovered.
A Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service interim incident report said crews undertook a 25-minute investigation looking for the source of smoke, which involved lifting floorboards at the adjoining property to the Morgans' home.
It states: "During the investigation there was no sign of smoke or any indication of a fire, so firefighters left the scene after isolating the electricity to a light fitting."
Shortly after, the Morgans' neighbours made another call, this time reporting smoke in their bathroom.
Alarm not working
Returning crews found that smoke was filling the loft space and coming from inside the Morgans' home.
They went in wearing breathing apparatus and tackled the blaze.
During a search of the house, firefighters discovered Mr Morgan downstairs and Mrs Morgan in an upstairs bedroom.
Both were unconscious and not breathing.
They were taken to University Hospital Aintree. Both were pronounced dead.
The report has indicated that a chip pan left unattended on a gas ring in the kitchen was the cause of the fire.
A smoke alarm was fitted at the property, but was not working.
There is an ongoing investigation into the blaze.