Heysel disaster: 30th anniversary marked in England, Belgium & Italy

Liverpool fans show of friendship towards Juventus Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Liverpool fans held placards spelling the word "friendship" in Italian during a match with Juventus in 2005

Ceremonies have been held to mark the 30th anniversary of the Heysel football stadium disaster.

Thirty-nine fans died when people were crushed against a wall that then collapsed at the ground in Brussels before the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

The disaster unfolded after a surge by Liverpool fans drove supporters of the Italian club towards the wall.

Memorial events have taken place at Liverpool's Anfield stadium as well as at the scene of the tragedy in Belgium.

Representatives from Liverpool, including club ambassador Ian Rush - who also played for Juventus - also paid their respects during a special Mass at Chiesa della Gran Madre di Dio church in Turin.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Juventus supporters hold a banner reading "39 angels forever" outside the Gran Madre di Dio church in Turin
Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Balloons were released at the ceremony in Belgium

In Brussels the ceremony at the now-renamed King Baudouin Stadium included the laying of wreaths and families of those who died releasing balloons.

Phil Neal, who captained the Reds on the night of the disaster, laid a wreath at the Heysel Memorial in Anfield's Centenary Stand.

The stand will remain open for the rest of the day to allow people to remember those affected by the tragedy.

A ceremony at the site of the disaster in Brussels, now known as the King Baudouin Stadium, included the laying of wreaths. Relatives of those who died released balloons to remember their loved ones.

After a five-month trial which followed the disaster, 14 Liverpool fans were found guilty of manslaughter and jailed for three years.

An investigation in Belgium recommended that some of the blame be laid on the police and the football authorities.

What happened at Heysel also led to English clubs being barred from European competition for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra year.

Image copyright AP
Image caption The disaster happened after crowd disorder between Liverpool and Juventus fans at the 1985 European Cup final

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites