Hillsborough inquests: Double tragedy of Glover family

(Clockwise from top left) Ian Glover, Keith McGrath, Peter Tootle and Steven Robinson
Image caption The court in Warrington heard from the families of (clockwise from top left) Ian Glover, Keith McGrath, Steven Robinson and Peter Tootle for the first time

The brother of a man who died at Hillsborough was himself killed nearly a decade later, an inquest heard.

Joe Glover was at the April 1989 FA Cup semi-final with brother Ian, who was one of the 96 to die, the Warrington coroner was told.

In a statement, the Glover family said Joe managed to escape the crush but could only watch as Ian died.

Almost exactly 10 years later Joe was crushed by falling marble at work, the hearing was told.

In the years after Ian's death, Mr Glover "never really recovered", the court was told.

Their sister Lorraine said Ian, from Liverpool and one of six children, was in the Leppings Lane terraces with his brother.

She said: "After the crush, [Joe] tried to resuscitate Ian and helped to carry him to the gymnasium."

She continued: "After the disaster Ian became one of the victims, number 37 [of the 96], which we found heartbreaking because to us he was our lad and our life.

"Joe was badly traumatised by what happened and never really recovered. He would often go missing and we would later find him asleep on Ian's grave."

'Lovely lad'

She added: "Almost exactly 10 years after the Hillsborough disaster, Joe was also crushed to death. He was unloading a wagon at work when he was crushed by five tonnes of marble. Joe managed to save a colleague by pushing him out of the way."

The statement said Ian's clothes were still hanging in his bedroom at the family home.

Jurors have been listening to background statements about how the Hillsborough disaster affected individual families.

The inquest heard a statement from Peter Tootle's mother Joan. Peter, from Liverpool, was 21 when he died at Hillsborough.

The statement, read by Peter's cousin, described him as a "lovely lad".

She said: "[Peter] went to his first Liverpool match when he was 18 months old and he was hooked. I think 'Liverpool' was his first word".

'Birthday present'

The court also heard about Keith McGrath, 17, from Liverpool.

His mother Mary Corrigan, said it was "inevitable" her son was going to become a Liverpool supporter as most of the family supported the team.

She said: "We bought him a season ticket for Liverpool for his 17th birthday. All these years I've been saying if If we had not got him that ticket he would be home safe today. "

The jury heard from the family of Steven Robinson, who had an ambition to join Merseyside Police.

All four of his brothers and sisters stood in the witness box to give their memories of the 17-year-old from Crosby.

Peter cried as he told the court about his older brother Steven taking him to Anfield for his 12th birthday present.

Further statements were also read by the families of Brian Matthews, 38, from Liverpool and Peter Burkett, 24, from the Wirral.

The inquests, set to last a year, were ordered after new evidence revealed by the Hillsborough Independent Panel led to the original inquest verdicts being quashed.

Michael Mansfield QC, representing many of the families, told the court the statements had been "a permanent testament to the dignity of the human spirit".

The hearing was adjourned until May 20.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites