Manchester Airport: Flights cancelled and delayed after fuel problem

Queues at the easyJet desk at Manchester Airport Image copyright Daniel Shortall
Image caption There were queues at the easyJet desk at Manchester Airport

A "power issue" that affected fuel supply caused dozens of flights to be cancelled at Manchester Airport.

Flights to Tenerife, Belfast and Milan were among 87 cancelled, while others were delayed by hours.

Passengers said they were stuck on grounded planes for two to three hours because of the problems, which began on Sunday afternoon.

A Manchester Airport spokesperson said the issue had been resolved at 03:00 BST.

They said "most scheduled flights" would operate as planned on Monday.

"However, we expect that there will be a small number of delays and cancellations as a result of the issues experienced."

The airport said engineers had "resolved the power issue which affected the fuel supply" and advised passengers to check the status of their flight with the airline.

Of the 87 flights cancelled on Sunday, 42 were arrivals and 45 were departures.

You may also be interested in:

Image copyright Graeme Forster
Image caption Graeme Forster waited on a stationary plane for three hours

Graeme Forster, 37, from Queensferry in North Wales, and his wife were booked on the 15:45 Jet2 flight to Lanzarote.

After waiting on the stationary plane for three hours, he and his fellow passengers were taken back into the terminal.

Mr Forster said: "I am severely annoyed as Jet2 are not being helpful. They have also said compensation is not an option as it's the airport's fault not Jet2."

Ian Thornley, 29, had been booked on the 19:35 Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Manchester after spending the weekend in Ireland at a wedding.

He said they were only told the flight had been cancelled at 21:30 and then had to queue for another hour to arrange a flight for Monday afternoon.

The food retail project manager said: "When we got to the airport it was showing that the plane was going and then it kept saying it was delayed.

"We were at the gate for two hours and it came up as cancelled. We won't be getting back to Manchester until Monday afternoon."

Mr Thornley, who lives in Manchester, said he had been forced to phone his work to cancel meetings

"I am going to have to do a five-day working week in four days now," he added.

"A friend who was on a different airline's flight out of Dublin got to the runway and was kept out there for an hour before they brought the plane back."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites