Man dies in Manchester city centre mass brawl
A man has been stabbed to death in a mass brawl in Manchester city centre.
A "large fight" spilled out from the Suburbia nightclub into John Dalton Street at about 02:50 BST, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.
A man, aged 21, from Birmingham died at the scene after suffering neck wounds.
Two women, aged 19 and 21, were left unconscious after being punched while two police officers were treated for minor injuries. Five men have been arrested and are in custody.
- A 21-year-old man held on suspicion of assault
- A 24-year-old man held on suspicion of assaulting a police officer
- A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of affray
- A 19-year-old arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and possession of a knife
- A 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of violent disorder
Several people were taken to hospital, including a man who had been hit with a glass, police said.
Ch Supt Emily Higham, from GMP, added: "What we were faced with during the early hours of this morning was a large group of men and women fighting in the street.
"The level of violence people were using towards each other and police was shocking and this resulted in the tragic loss of a young man's life."
She appealed for anyone with information to contact the police and added "there is a potentially a nightclub full of witnesses who we want to hear from".