Manchester

Kitty the cat has operation after swallowing Kitty toy

Kitty the cat Image copyright Steve Rawlins
Image caption Kitty the ginger tabby swallowed a plastic figure from the Kitty in My Pocket children's toy range

A cat called Kitty underwent life-saving surgery after swallowing a toy cat - also named Kitty.

The ginger tabby's worried owners took her to the vets after she gulped down the plastic figure from the Kitty in My Pocket children's toy range.

An X-ray revealed the toy had become lodged in the pet's abdomen and threatened to perforate her intestine.

But following a successful operation at Manchester Vet Centre, Kitty is now home and recovering well.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionKitty the cat had to have an operation after swallowing the toy

Owner Paul Grice, 38, of Denton, Tameside, said: "We were really upset as we'd had Kitty from a little kitten. You get yourself worked up and it's totally out of your hands.

"We had absolutely no idea that she'd swallowed anything and only found out as a result of the X-ray. What are the chances of a cat called Kitty swallowing a cat called Kitty?"

Image copyright Steve Rawlins
Image caption Vet Ann Mee said it is more common for dogs to run into trouble after swallowing items

Vet Ann Mee said: "Kitty was very poorly, she was dehydrated and lethargic.

"Sometimes, when we have a foreign body present, we can milk them through to the large intestines to allow the animal to pass it naturally.

"But this was a hard plastic toy with a prominent tail and ears which had got caught in the intestinal wall. Any attempt to move it down would have ruptured the intestinal wall itself."

Paul's wife Michelle, 36, said: "Kitty is glued to my little girl. If we'd lost her it doesn't bear thinking about. We're just thrilled to have her home."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites