Kieran McGrath shooting: Fourth man guilty of murder

Anthony Henry, Jace Smith, Remi Adams and Troy Beckford Image copyright GMP
Image caption Anthony Henry, Jace Smith, Troy Beckford and Remi Adams (pictured clockwise from top left) were convicted of murder

A fourth man has been found guilty of murdering a man who was shot outside a pub in Greater Manchester.

Kieran McGrath was shot after leaving the Sheldon Arms, Ashton-under-Lyne, on 4 October 2014. He managed to drive to the local police station about a mile away but collapsed and died outside.

Remi Adams, 34, was convicted of murder at a retrial at Manchester Crown Court.

Three other men were convicted in April of murdering Mr McGrath, 26, who police said was involved in a "bitter feud".

Image copyright Greater Manchester Police
Image caption Kieran McGrath died after he drove to a police station with a gunshot wound

Scott Chapman, 28, of Leng Road, Manchester, was cleared of murder at the retrial.

He was put on trial again with Adams in October after the jury in April's trial was unable to agree on verdicts.

Image copyright GMP
Image caption Henry's girlfriend Bretony Gallimore was sentenced to three years in prison

The sentences of ringleader Anthony Henry, Troy Beckford and Jace Smith as well as Henry's girlfriend Bretony Gallimore, who was convicted of assisting an offender, can only now be reported.

Adams, of Dartmouth Road, Whitefield will be sentenced on Thursday at Manchester Crown Court.

The earlier convictions

  • Anthony Henry, 32, of Kenwyn Street, Miles Platting - who orchestrated the shooting - was found guilty of murder and ordered to serve a minimum of 33 years
  • Troy Beckford, 24, of Lowerfields Gardens, Warrington, was found guilty of murder and ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years
  • Jace Smith, 32, of Charlestown Road, Manchester, was found guilty of murder and ordered to serve a minimum of 31 years
  • Henry's girlfriend Bretony Gallimore, 25, of Stanhorne Avenue, Manchester, was found guilty of assisting an offender and sentenced to three years

Police said Henry bought two mobile phones and Beckford fitted a tracker to Mr McGrath's Audi S3 as part of the murder plot.

On the night of his death Smith and Adams lay in wait on a motorcycle, said police, with Adams pulling the trigger.

Det Ch Insp Terry Crompton said: "Henry had a simmering need for revenge but wasn't brave enough to act himself.

"He saw the feud between himself and Kieran as damaging to both his pride and reputation, but when Kieran attempted on several occasions to sort it out, Henry either fled or refused to show."

More on this story