Stephen Hunt: Fallen firefighter's mum hails charity lottery
The mother of a firefighter who died tackling a blaze has praised the launch of a charity lottery to support relatives of fallen rescue workers.
Organised by the Fire Brigades Union, the first draw of the Firefighters 100 Lottery will take place later.
Funds raised will also be used to promote education in fire safety.
Sue Veevers, whose son Stephen Hunt died in Manchester in 2013, said the scheme was "much needed and very welcome".
Mr Hunt, 38, from Bury, Greater Manchester, died after a fire at Paul's Hair World in Oldham Street.
Earlier this year an inquest jury concluded it was probable two 15-year-old girls deliberately started the fire after smoking cigarettes at the rear of the building.
Ms Veevers said: "No-one could imagine the hell our family went through after my son died.
"People assume that families such as mine are looked after following such a tragedy, but it's not always the case."
Mr Hunt was among 60 firefighters called to the hair salon blaze.
Along with a colleague, he entered the building but was later found collapsed and could not be resuscitated. He died later that evening.
Police said the case is to be reviewed to determine if any further action should be taken.
A Manchester street was named in memory of Mr Hunt in September.