Jordon Begley death: IPCC seeks wants to quash Taser death report

Jordan Lee Begley Image copyright PA
Image caption Jordon Begley suffered a cardiac arrest and died at Manchester Royal Infirmary

The police watchdog has won permission for a bid to overturn its own report into the death of an unarmed man Tasered by officers.

A damning inquest prompted The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) to review its probe into Jordon Begley's death in 2013.

Last July, jurors concluded Mr Begley had been "inappropriately and unreasonably" Tasered and restrained.

It is the first time the IPCC has made such an application.

Mr Begley, 23, died in hospital two hours after he was shot by a police officer with the stun gun at his home in Gorton, Manchester, in July 2013.

'Stun gun use'

An IPCC spokeswoman said concerns were raised at the inquest about the conduct of officers involved that "may not have been consistent with the IPCC's findings"

She said a judicial review, which will take place on a date to be decided - was required to change the report.

"This is the first time the IPCC - whose own report was never published - has applied to judicially review an independent investigation.

"The IPCC has applied to judicially review its own decision on one previous occasion, but this related to an appeal determination rather than an independent investigation," she added.

Eleven officers attended Mr Begley's home after his mother called 999 to report he had a knife.

He was shot with the 50,000 volt stun gun from a distance of 28in (70cm).

While the initial Taser shock did not cause his heart to stop, the jurors found the Taser and the restraint "more than materially contributed" to a "package" of stressful factors leading to Mr Begley's cardiac arrest.

The jury concluded PC Terence Donnelly pulled the trigger of the stun gun for eight seconds - longer than was necessary.

Jurors also said police were "more concerned with their own welfare" than that of Mr Begley's.

The factory worker offered "minimal resistance" and there was "no need" for one officer to punch him a second time in a "distraction strike" as they handcuffed him, the inquest heard.

Jurors also concluded he was left too long face down with his hands cuffed behind his back.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites