Margaret Gleeson inquest: Nurse 'sorry' for missing details

Margaret Gleeson Image copyright Family
Image caption Margaret Gleeson died two days after a routine hernia operation

A nurse who cared for a grandmother at the hospital where she died has apologised to the woman's family for failing to update her patient record.

Margaret Gleeson, 70, died two days after a routine hernia operation at Wigan's Royal Albert Edward Infirmary.

Valerie Taylor told Bolton Coroner's Court she had "no excuse" for the failure in October 2015.

It led to an artificially low rating of Mrs Gleeson's health risk, the inquest heard.

Valerie Taylor was one of several medics questioned about omissions from patient notes during the second day of the inquest.

'No time to record'

Image copyright Family
Image caption Margaret Gleeson's daughter, Julie Barnes, said her mother was in pain the afternoon after the operation

She turned to Mrs Gleeson's family while giving evidence and apologised, saying: "I didn't score a urine output and I've no excuse for that. I can only apologise wholeheartedly."

Staff nurse Sian Parkinson, who was in charge of the nursing staff on the ward, told the inquest she had not been overly concerned about Mrs Gleeson's condition.

Asked about missing details from the records, she said: "Sometimes you're that busy you don't have time to record."

Mrs Gleeson's daughter, Julie Barnes, had earlier told the inquest that when the family visited the hospital the afternoon after the operation her mother was pale, waxy, vomiting repeatedly and in pain.

The inquest has heard internal tissue was torn during the procedure but there was a delay running blood tests and medics did not realise she was seriously ill until the early hours of the Sunday morning.

A leading surgeon at the hospital, Dr Marius Paraoan, told the inquest she may have survived if she had been treated sooner.

Dr Paraoan, one of the authors of an internal hospital report into Mrs Gleeson's death, said mistakes were made and that "the sooner the operation is done, the lower the mortality rate."

But he disagreed with claims that delays spotting the "very rare" complications and treating her were the result of weekend staffing levels.

On the first day of the inquest, the surgeon who oversaw the operation said weekend staffing levels affect the care patients receive at the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary.

The trust's Dr Sadasivam Loganathan agreed that reduced staffing at weekends was "a major concern".

The inquest continues.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites