Rochdale men jailed for 'appalling and vile' abuse
Nine men who committed sexual offences against eight girls and women have been jailed for up to 25 years.
The men abused their victims aged 13 to 22, mainly in Rochdale, Greater Manchester between 2005 and 2010.
The principal victim came forward after a number of men of mainly Pakistani heritage were jailed in 2012 for grooming white girls in the town.
A tenth man was jailed for five-and-a-half years last September for sexual activity with the girl.
The main victim, who has a learning disability, was described in court as an "extremely vulnerable young woman" who had endured "a very difficult home life".
She gave evidence in two separate trials, which lasted a total of 15 weeks. She said hundreds of men would ring her up wanting sex when she was aged between 14 and 18.
No evidence was put before the court that the men had acted as part of an organised gang or that they all knew each other.
Some of the offenders gave their victims "alcohol or drugs as a way of controlling or even incapacitating them", Alison Cartmell from the Crown Prosecution Service said.
"Some used violence and threats to intimidate and coerce them into having sex," she added.
A spokeswoman for the NSPCC described the crimes as "depraved and horrifying", adding that one of the victims spoke of "the 'brilliant relief' she felt in telling someone about her ordeal, so allowing her to move on after many years of anguish".
Richard Scorer, from law firm Slater and Gordon, which represents one of the victims, said: "In 20 years of acting for victims in cases of this nature, these are some of the most appalling, sadistic and vile crimes that I have ever encountered."
Det Ch Insp Jamie Daniels said: "This was an extremely complex case and I want to commend the victims for the immense bravery they have shown.
"The process can be emotionally demanding and traumatic for the victims and we do not underestimate the courage this took."
The convicted offenders:
- Afraz Ahmed, 33, of Oswald Street, Rochdale, jailed for a total of 25 years for rape, conspiracy to rape and sexual activity with a child, in relation to five underage victims
- A 40-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, jailed for 23 years for rape and attempting to abduct a child in relation to three victims - he will serve an additional eight years on extended licence when he is released
- Choudry Ikhalaq Hussein, 38, formerly of Mayfield Terrace, Rochdale, jailed for 19 years in his absence for rape, sexual activity with a child and conspiracy to rape. He is believed to have fled to Pakistan during the trial
- Rehan Ali, 27, of Cleethorpes Avenue, Blackley, jailed for seven years for rape and sexual activity with a child
- Kutab Miah, 35, of Ramsey Street, Rochdale, for nine years for for rape and sexual activity with a child
- Abid Khan, 39, of Whitney Road, Liverpool, jailed for six-and-a-half years for sexual activity with a child
- Mohammed Zahid, 55, of Croxton Avenue, Rochdale, jailed for five years for sexual activity with a child
- Mohammed Dauood, 38, of Leyland Road, Burnley, jailed for 16 years for offences in relation to two victims, including rape, sexual activity with a child and sexual assault
- David Law, 46, of Colmanhay Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, jailed for 11 years for conspiracy to rape
- Mahfuz Rahman, 29, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to three counts of sexual activity with a child was jailed for five-and-a-half years last September