Ten men charged over Rochdale child abuse claims
Ten men have been charged by police investigating child sexual exploitation in Rochdale, Greater Manchester.
The men are accused of a catalogue of serious sex offences against seven females aged between 13 and 23 at the time of the alleged abuse, police said.
They were held under Operation Doublet, investigating child sexual exploitation of teen girls by older men in Rochdale.
The offences are alleged to have happened between 2005 and 2013.
They include rape, conspiracy to rape, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, sexual activity with a child and sexual assault.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said the investigation was not connected to an ongoing inquiry into historical abuse at Knowl View School.
Assistant Chief Constable Ian Wiggett said: "This investigation is one of a number of cases which comes under the umbrella of Operation Doublet, which is the continued investigation into child sexual exploitation (CSE) that arose following the 2011 investigation into CSE in Rochdale.
"The operation is an investigation into CSE in Rochdale and across other areas of Greater Manchester.
"So far, 65 people have been arrested as part of Operation Doublet and the investigation continues.
"This is an extremely complex and challenging investigation which started in May 2012. The investigation will continue over the coming months and further arrests are anticipated."
The charges have been welcomed by Rochdale's Labour MP Simon Danczuk, who has called for more action to expose historical sex abuse crimes.
Mr Danczuk said: "There have been some who have urged me not to campaign on grooming, but I believe that this news shows what can be achieved by keeping up pressure and pushing for change."
The men have been charged as follows:
- Shayfur Rahman, 31, of Chapel Road, Prestwich, Greater Manchester, has been charged with one count of rape
- Kutab Miah, 34, of Ramsay Street, Rochdale, has been charged with three counts of sexual activity and one count of rape
- Rehan Ali, 26, of Cleethorpes Avenue, Blackley, Manchester, has been charged with one count of rape and six counts of sexual activity with a child
- Iklaq Choudhry Hussain, 37, of Mayfield Terrace, Rochdale, has been charged with three counts of sexual activity with a child and two counts of rape
- David Law, 45, of Cotmanhay Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, has been charged with three counts of conspiracy to commit rape
- Mahfus Rahman, 28, has been charged with three counts of rape and three counts of sexual activity with a child
- Ashfaq Yousaf, 28, has been charged with one count of aiding and abetting rape and rape
- Afraz Ahmed, 32, of Oswald Street, Rochdale, has been charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit rape, two counts of rape and two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity
- Mohammed Davood, 37, of Leyland Road, Burnley, Lancashire, has been charged with one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three counts of rape, one count of sexual activity with a child and one count of sexual assault
- Mohammed Miah, 39, has been charged with three counts of sexual activity and two counts of rape
The men have been bailed to appear at either Bury or Tameside Magistrates' Court later this week.