BBC News

Jade Anderson inquest: 'She did not suffer long', father told

image copyrightCAVENDISH
image captionJade Anderson was alone in the house when the dogs attacked her

A 14-year-old girl who died after being savaged by four dogs "didn't suffer for long", an inquest was told.

Jade Anderson was at a sleepover at her friend's house in Chaucer Grove, Atherton, in Greater Manchester when she was attacked in March last year.

The dogs' owner, Beverley Concannon, later admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the pets and was given a 16-week suspended jail sentence.

She was not at the inquest after being taken to hospital earlier.

Coroner Alan Walsh told Bolton Coroners' Court Concannon was due to give evidence and police would make further inquiries to see if she would be fit to attend the court on Friday.

Jade's stepfather, Michael Anderson, 35, told the hearing Jade was well-behaved, very polite with good manners and "the ideal daughter".

At first, Mr Anderson and his wife, Jade's mother, Shirley, 37, had refused permission for her to stay over at her friend's house but eventually agreed as she had a good school report.

At about 14:30 BST on the day of the attack, a neighbour knocked on their door to tell the parents "there had been an accident".

Mr Walsh asked Mr Anderson: "When you got to Chaucer Grove police had closed off the road and you were very sadly told in a short time that Jade had died?"

Mr Anderson replied: "Yes."

'Aggressive' dogs

Dr Naomi Carter, who carried out the post-mortem examination, concluded Jade died of "multiple injuries" from dog bites, particularly to her neck, from at least two dogs.

A tearful Mr Anderson asked the doctor: "Did she suffer for long?"

Dr Carter replied: "The answer to that is no, she did not."

Paul Carter, Beverley Concannon's neighbour, said she kept five dogs; two mastiffs called Ty and Sky, two Staffordshire Bull terriers, Buddy and Neo and a cross breed called Charlie.

He said the dogs were always kept in the house and Buddy - who would bark if approached and would be aggressive - kept in a cage in the kitchen.

'She's dead'

Mr Carter said on the day of the attack, Concannon's daughter Kimberley - a friend of Jade's - stopped by to borrow something.

She went home but returned a "very short time" later.

Mr Carter said she was "banging on the kitchen window, banging really loud".

"She then said she had seen Jade and she said she's dead. She kept repeating the words over and over again and tears rolling down her face," he said.

His partner, Jody Lewis, called Beverley Concannon and told her to return home immediately.

The dogs were shot dead by police after the attack.

The hearing was adjourned until Friday.

Related Topics

  • Wigan
  • Bolton

More on this story

  • Jade Anderson dogs death: Court hears of 'horrific' scene