Double-decker bus catches fire in Didsbury, Manchester

bus fire
Image caption The fire broke out at about 19:30 BST on Wednesday

A fire on an "electrical hybrid" double-decker bus near to a university campus has been extinguished.

The blaze broke out at about 19:30 BST on Wednesday in Wilmslow Road, Didsbury, near to Manchester Metropolitan University.

Two crews attended and isolated the fuel and electrics, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said.

There are no reported injuries. Part of Wilmslow Road was closed for about two hours.

Jo Dowling, of the fire service, said: "It was an electrical hybrid bus, which had a malfunction and burst into flames.

"Everyone managed to get off the bus quickly and safely.

"We tackled the fire pretty quickly, but it caused substantial damage to the bus."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites