Police killer Cregan in 'hunger strike' protest

Dale Cregan
Image caption Cregan is believed to be unhappy at being segregated and wants to be nearer his family

Killer Dale Cregan should spend the rest of his life in jail as the prison service sees fit, an MP has said after reports he is on hunger strike.

Cregan, 30, was given a whole-life sentence in June for murdering PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes as well as father and son David and Mark Short.

He is said to want to move from HMP Full Sutton, near York, to Manchester, to be nearer his family.

Jonathan Reynolds MP said how he was held was a prison service matter.

'Extremely seriously'

Cregan, who admitted all four murders, is also believed to be unhappy at being segregated at the prison where he is serving his sentence.

Mr Reynolds, MP for Stalybridge and Hyde, said: "Dale Cregan deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison and how he is held is a matter for the prison authorities.

"He is clearly proud of the reputation he has gained himself and this is now one of the few ways he has of getting the attention that he craves.

"Hopefully he will be dealt with accordingly and can get right back to serving his sentence in whichever way the authorities see fit."

The Prison Service said it would not comment on individual inmates.

However, a spokesman added: "We take food refusal extremely seriously.

"If a prisoner chooses to refuse food for any reason, the Prison Service works with healthcare staff to monitor their physical and mental health.

"Prisoners who are considered mentally capable are entitled to refuse health interventions, provided they fully understand the consequences of their decision."

Greater Manchester Police said it would not be commentating on the reports.

Cregan admitted murdering police officers Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes in a gun and grenade attack.

Preston Crown Court heard during an 18-week trial how he had lured PCs Hughes and Bone to their deaths with a hoax 999 call on 18 September 2012.

He shot the unarmed officers before handing himself in to police.

Cregan was sentenced to a whole-life term after also pleading guilty to the deaths of David and Mark Short, after a decade-long feud between families.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites