Missing Atiya Anjum-Wilkinson's mum makes new appeal

Atiya Anjum-Wilkinson
Image caption Atiya Anjum-Wilkinson went missing in November 2009

The mother of a girl who went missing after going to stay with her father three years ago has said she prays her "bundle of joy" is safe and well.

Atiya Anjum-Wilkinson went missing on her third birthday in November 2009.

Her father Razwan Ali Anjum has received four consecutive jail terms for refusing to reveal where she is.

Gemma Wilkinson, 32, of Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, said not knowing five-year-old Atiya is even alive is an "absolute nightmare".

She has appealed for information as to her whereabouts.

Courts have been told the former insurance salesman said he was taking Atiya to Southport, but instead took her to Lahore, Pakistan, and told Ms Wilkinson that she would never see her again.

Anjum was handed his fourth jail term by a High Court judge in April after he refused to reveal where his daughter was.

'No contact'

Mr Justice Moor imposed a 12-month prison sentence after he found him in contempt of a High Court order instructing him to disclose her whereabouts.

He said Anjum, who is in his late 20s, would not be eligible for release until he had served at least six months.

Judges have previously imposed jail terms of two years, 12 months and another 12 months in the hope that Anjum would provide information. They have re-jailed Anjum as each sentence neared its end.

Image caption Gemma Wilkinson said her daughter was a "little bundle of joy"

Speaking ahead of Atiya's sixth birthday, Ms Wilkinson said: "It's been an absolute nightmare. As to her whereabouts, we know nothing.

"We've had no contact. I'm worrying every day, every single day. Everything is affected by it. When I close my eyes I see her.

"I say goodnight to her every night before bed. I pray she's OK. We don't have any proof that she's OK, there is no proof she is still alive.

"It's been discussed that she could have been sold, but I don't want to believe it.

"She was so funny. She was a little bundle of joy. She loved her lip gloss and handbags - as soon as she got hold of my makeup bag, everything in it was hers.

"We just want her home."

'He's manipulative'

Ms Wilkinson, whose relationship with Anjum ended in 2008, said she had no reason to believe her daughter was at risk when she went out with her father.

"There had been a standard routine, there hadn't been any problems with the arrangements," she said.

Det Supt Phil Owen, from Greater Manchester Police, said: "We're working with a range of international agencies in order to find out who may be harbouring her, but it presents its challenges and problems and hopefully this is now the time to tug at heart-strings and generate information from the public.

"We haven't got any evidence to know she's even alive. This is the only way he can exert control.

"He's manipulative, he puts himself first. He will convince himself that she's looked after and cared for but he doesn't know that."

Anyone with information is being urged to contact police, Crimestoppers or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

More on this story