Dale Cregan remanded over Manchester police officer deaths

Court drawing of Dale Cregan at Manchester Magistrates' Court
Image caption Dale Cregan spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth

A man has been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with murdering two police officers and two men in Greater Manchester.

Dale Cregan is accused of murdering PC Fiona Bone, 32, and PC Nicola Hughes, 23, in Mottram, Tameside on Tuesday.

The 29-year-old also appeared before Manchester magistrates accused of murdering David Short and his son Mark.

Another man held on suspicion of conspiracy to murder the officers has been released without charge.

Prime minister David Cameron met relatives of both PC Bone and PC Hughes at the Greater Manchester Police Headquarters, as part of an hour-long visit.

He said he had come to pay his respects and that the "whole country was shocked" by the officers' deaths.

Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy also updated him on the investigation before he left.

Armed police surrounded Manchester Magistrates' Court on Friday morning before Mr Cregan's appearance.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Manchester Crown Court on Monday.

Mr Cregan sat down as he was brought into the dock but got to his feet after he was asked to stand by District Judge Jonathan Taaffe.

Wearing a dark blue sweatshirt, Mr Cregan had also grown a thick beard. He spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth.

Judge Taaffe then read out the eight charges the defendant faces, including that of murdering PC Bone and PC Hughes.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionArmed police were present in court during the hearing

Pub shooting

The unarmed officers were shot dead after they were called to investigate an alleged burglary at a house in Abbey Gardens on Tuesday.

Mr Cregan is also charged with the murders of Mark and David Short.

Mark Short, 23, died from a gunshot wound to the neck after a shooting in the Cotton Tree Inn in Droylsden, Greater Manchester, on 25 May.

His father David, 46, was found dead at a house in Folkestone Road East, Clayton, Greater Manchester, on 10 August after police were called following reports of gunshots.

Mr Cregan also faces four counts of attempted murder. Three of the charges relate to the pub shooting. The fourth relates to the attack in Clayton.

Detectives investigating the multiple killings travelled to Mottram after they had been to see Mr Cregan appear in court.

They laid flowers close to where their Greater Manchester Police colleagues were killed.

Police confirmed Stephen Garvey, 28, who had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the deaths of the police officers, has been released without charge.

More on this story