CCTV shows grenade attack linked to Droylsden murder

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice have issued CCTV footage from the second attack in an appeal for witnesses to come forward.

Police investigating the murder of a man in a shooting and hand grenade attack have released CCTV images of a similar attack on a second house.

The body of David Short, 46, was found at a house in Clayton, Manchester, following reports of gunshots and an explosion on Friday.

Detectives want to speak to Dale Cregan, 29, of Droylsden, and Anthony Wilkinson, 33, of Beswick.

Mr Cregan is also wanted in connection with the murder of Mr Short's son Mark.

'Weapons of warfare'

Mark Short, 23, died when a masked gunman opened fire at the Cotton Tree Inn in Droylsden on 25 May.

Image caption Police want to speak to Anthony Wilkinson (left) and Dale Cregan

The attack in which his father died took place in Folkestone Road East at 10.30 BST on Friday.

Less than 10 minutes later a second attack took place at a house in Luke Road, Droylsden, though no-one was reported as injured.

Both involved hand grenades and automatic weapons.

A 37-year-old man who was arrested on Saturday in Salford on suspicion of murder has been bailed pending further inquiries.

A second man, aged 25, was arrested late on Sunday night on suspicion of murder in connection with the same attacks and remains in police custody.

Armed police have been drafted in to patrol the streets of Droylsden and Clayton and police are appealing for anyone sees Mr Cregan or Mr Wilkinson to contact the force and not approach the men.

Image caption David Short was killed in a shooting on Friday, while his son Mark was shot dead in Droylsden in May

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "People will no doubt be concerned when they see this footage, which shows weapons normally reserved for warfare being used in a residential street in Manchester.

"The CCTV shows just what these men are capable of and whilst we do not believe these attacks were random, clearly we should be thankful that there was no-one passing by at the time they took place, as even more people could have been seriously injured or killed."

Three people have been charged with the murder of Mark Short and are due to appear before Manchester Crown Court at a later date.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites