Blind man dies after being trapped at Metrolink platform

  • Published
Gary Thompson
Image caption,
Gary Thompson's family said he had a "wide circle of friends"

A man has died after he became trapped between a tram and the platform in Manchester city centre.

Gary Thompson, 33, who was registered blind, fell and lost his footing on the Metrolink platform in St Peter's Square just after 23:05 GMT on Thursday.

Emergency services were called but he died at the scene. He had been trapped up to his chest.

The tram service was suspended for several hours while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Mr Thompson's mother Corinne, father Eric and brother Karl, said: "Gary was a son and brother we are all proud of. He overcame his disabilities and lived a fulfilling life, achieving a degree at Bolton University in business management earlier this year.

"The family have suffered a tragic loss due to unavoidable circumstances. We thank the emergency service personnel who attended what must have been a very difficult incident to deal with.

"Gary had a wide circle of friends from a wide cross-section of the community and had a good sense of values and humour."

'Serious incident'

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire Service said: "Fire crews from Manchester Central and Moss Side Fire Stations attended a collision involving a Metrolink tram and a man at St Peter's Square Metrolink Station.

"The man was trapped at chest height between the platform and the tram and was released by firefighters.

"Sadly he was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics."

Peter Cushing, Metrolink's Head of Operations, said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Mr Thompson and I offer my heartfelt condolences to them at this incredibly difficult time.

"The safety of passengers and pedestrians is of paramount importance to us and we have an excellent safety record, which makes a serious incident such as this particularly upsetting.

"No-one else was hurt. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has been informed, as is expected following a serious incident, and we will of course co-operate fully with any investigation, as will our operator MRDL."

Metrolink services were running normally this morning.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.