Barnet stabbing: Man dies after triple knife attack

Image caption A crime scene remained in place on Welbeck Road on Wednesday morning

A man has died after a triple stabbing in north London.

Officers were called to Welbeck Road in Barnet at 22:50 BST on Tuesday after reports of a fight.

Scotland Yard said three people had been taken to hospital and a 38-year-old man was pronounced dead - the fifth killing in the capital in six days.

Two other injured men, one aged 25 and one aged 34, have been discharged from hospital. The Met has launched a murder investigation.

Image caption Police were called to Welbeck Road in Barnet on Tuesday after reports of a fight

Supt Tim Alexander said: "Our thoughts are with the victim's family at this very difficult time. This is such a tragic loss of life and we urge anyone with information to come forward.

"The information you provide can be used to great effect to not only detect, but also prevent crime.

"We are working closely with the Homicide and Major Crime Command as part of their ongoing investigation into the full circumstances."

'Patrols stepped up'

The fatal stabbing comes after a man in his 40s was knifed to death in Whalebone Lane, Stratford, in the early hours of Monday.

That followed three homicides in the space of 24 hours, including two teenagers who were fatally attacked on Friday.

Cheyon Evans, 18, was found stabbed on Deeside Road in Wandsworth, south-west London, at 16:42 BST, and died at the scene.

Eniola Aluko, 19, from Thamesmead, south-east London, was shot dead in Hartville Road, Plumstead, shortly before 17:00.

On Saturday, Gleb Stanislavovitch Zhebrovsky, 30, was stabbed to death in a field in Alton Street, in Tower Hamlets, east London, just before 14:00.

The Met Police said it has stepped up patrols in certain hotspots.

Mohamed Nadir Dafallah, 18, from Wandsworth, and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been charged with Mr Evans' murder.

They are due to appear at the Old Bailey on Wednesday.

More on this story