Further eight charged Reker Ahmed attack in Croydon
Eight people - including a 15-year-old boy - have appeared in court in relation to an attack on a teenage asylum seeker in south London.
Reker Ahmed, a Kurdish-Iranian boy, was chased and subjected to a "brutal attack" in Croydon on Friday night.
The assault left the 17-year-old with a bleed on his brain and a fractured eye socket and fractured spine.
A total of 13, all aged between 15 and 24, have been charged with violent disorder in relation to the attack.
Five other people were charged in connection with the attack at the court in Croydon on Monday.
All 13 defendants will appear at Croydon Crown Court on 2 May for a plea and trial preparation hearing.
The eight, including juveniles who cannot be named for legal reasons, are:
- Kyran Evans, 23, charged with violent disorder
- Ben Harman, 20, charged with violent disorder and dangerous driving
- Ellie Leite, 19, charged with violent disorder
- Liam Neyle, 19, charged with violent disorder
- James Neves, 22, charged with violent disorder
- A 17-year-old boy, charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent
- A 17-year-old girl, charged with violent disorder
- A 15-year-old boy, charged with violent disorder
Police said about 20 people were involved in the assault on Shrublands Avenue, which happened at 23:40 BST.
The victim has started to make a recovery and it is hoped he will be moved out of intensive care soon, police said.
Officers are still trying to contact his family who they believe live in Iran.
Police said he was with two friends when he was set upon and he was not previously known to the assailants.
An online fundraising campaign for the 17 year old has raised more than £30,000.