London

Fabric nightclub death: Teen hid drugs in boxer shorts

Sharon Crossley (R) arrives to attend the inquest into the death of her son Jack Crossley, at Poplar Coroner"s Court o Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Mr Crossley's mother Sharon (r) attended the inquest

A clubber at one of London's biggest nightclubs died after taking drugs he had smuggled into the venue inside his underwear, an inquest has found.

Jack Crossley, 18, took MDMA into Fabric nightclub in Farringdon - and bought more inside after being approached by a stranger.

Poplar Coroner's Court heard he died on 6 August after taking the drug with two friends at the club.

Coroner Mary Hassell said Mr Crossley's death was caused by MDMA toxicity.

The inquest heard Mr Crossley, a trainee electrician, had visited Fabric twice before and taken drugs on both occasions.

'Teeth chattering'

One visit, in June, was on the same night another 18-year-old, Ryan Browne, died after taking ecstasy at the club.

Mr Crossley arrived at Fabric with friends Joe Ryan and Josh Green between 23:00 and 23:30 on 5 August, the court was told.

Mr Green said staff had carried out a "brief search" of the trio but they managed to smuggle MDMA, which they had bought ahead of the event, in their boxers.

The group took the drugs inside before buying more from someone in the club, Mr Ryan told the hearing.

Mr Crossley received medical attention as he left the venue - propped up by his friends - at around 05.30 BST.

Paramedic Caroline Smith said he was "pale and sweating profusely", his "teeth were chattering" and he lashed out at staff as he experienced "confusion and paranoia".

His temperature was recorded at 42.2C and his heart rate at 190 beats per minute, she said.

A rate of 60 to 90 beats per minute is normal in a healthy individual, she added.

Image copyright Alamy
Image caption Fabric is due to reopen at the weekend

Mr Crossley suffered a cardiac arrest and died in hospital at 08.58.

Giving her verdict, senior coroner Ms Hassell said: "We have all done these foolish things and on this occasion it ended in tragedy.

"A youngster like Jack, who has taken MDMA twice before, has gone to a club and has done what it seemed like other people are doing and it's no more than that.

"It's no more than doing what so many youngsters will do and they won't have any consequences.

"I'm very conscious that there are issues here with Fabric but this is a problem which is much wider than that. It's much wider than one nightclub."

Related Topics

More on this story