Jeroen Ensink's widow calls for independent investigation into murder

The widow of a lecturer knifed to death outside their home in north London in December 2015 has relived the moment she was told the "awful" news.
Image caption Nadja Ensink-Teich said lessons had not been learned

The widow of an academic murdered near his London home has called for an independent investigation into the circumstances leading to his death.

Nadja Ensink-Teich blamed "austerity" for mistakes which allowed a mentally ill man to be free to kill her husband.

Jeroen Ensink, 41, was killed in Islington on 29 December last year when he left home to post cards announcing the birth of his daughter Fleur.

Nigerian student Femi Nandap, 23, admitted carrying out the knife attack.

He was handed an indefinite hospital order in October.

The Old Bailey was told that police were alerted to the fact that Nandap had gone to Nigeria while on bail and that he was receiving psychiatric treatment while there, despite facing trial in the UK for knife-related offences committed earlier in 2015.

Days before the killing, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) dropped the case against Nandap in a magistrates' court, saying it had "insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction" over charges of possession of two knives and assaulting a policeman.

Ms Ensink-Teich said lessons had not been learned.

"It's an issue with austerity, it's an issue with not sharing information. If the police and CPS collaborated, information would have been shared," she said.

"The CPS did not even know he was in a mental hospital. All the information came out later on. If they had known about that before, he would have got psychiatric help and then it might not have happened."

Image copyright James Drew Turner/PA
Image caption Jeroen Ensink was killed metres from his home

She added: "The CPS said a mistake has been made and the charges should not have been dropped.

"Clearly, mistakes have happened and they admit it and it's like, so what? There was no sorry. There was nothing.

"I do not know if there are going to be any consequences and they won't discuss this with me."

An inquest is due to be held into the death of Dr Ensink in April, but his widow fears it will not deal with the wider issues.

A CPS spokesperson said: "This was a tragic case and our heartfelt sympathies remain with Dr Ensink's family.

"We remain in ongoing contact with Mrs Ensink-Teich and have offered a further meeting to offer additional clarification and support."

Related Topics

More on this story