London

London Underground drivers call off planned strike action

Commuters on a train platform Image copyright @iamcoxhead
Image caption Commuters no longer have to make other transport plans

A 24-hour strike due to take place on two London Underground lines from Tuesday evening has been suspended.

Drivers on the Piccadilly and Hammersmith & City lines were going to walk out over a breakdown in industrial relations.

But the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers union (RMT) said the action had been called off after talks at conciliation service Acas.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said "significant progress" had been made.

The union said "all objectives" had been achieved in the dispute on the Piccadilly line, while further talks would take place "aimed at a long-term agreement on the Hammersmith & City line".

The strike would have caused major disruption on both lines, with no trains running on the Piccadilly line and a significantly reduced service on the Hammersmith & City line.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan welcomed the suspension saying that "negotiations can now continue without unnecessary disruption for commuters".

"Nobody wins from strikes on the Underground. Commuters, businesses, TfL [Transport for London] staff and Londoners all suffer. It's a lose-lose situation," he said.

There has been disruption on the Piccadilly Line during the past week because wet leaves on the track have damaged train wheels.

Image copyright Getty Images

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites