Stephen Port murder trial: Man 'awoke sore and naked' at flat

Stephen Port Image copyright .
Image caption Stephen Port worked as a chef

A student awoke "sore and naked" after being given a drink by a man accused of four murders and a string of rapes, a court has heard.

The man, who cannot be named, said he fell unconscious at Stephen Port's east London flat in June 2014.

He told the Old Bailey the pair had arranged to meet after contacting each other via gay dating website Fitlads.

Mr Port, 41, denies 29 charges including murder, manslaughter, drugging, rape and sexual assault.

The man told the court he met the defendant at his flat three times, where they watched TV and chatted.

On the fourth occasion Mr Port's accuser, a practising Muslim, said he was offered a glass of Coke after refusing an alcoholic drink.

He said his throat burned "immediately", and felt as if someone had "poured acid" down it.

After Mr Port denied putting something in the drink, the man said he visited his flat again on a fifth occasion.

He said the defendant gave him a massage, and offered him some amyl nitrate - also known as poppers - which caused him to fall asleep.

'What did you give me?'

When he woke, Mr Port gave him a glass of clear liquid, saying it was water.

Image copyright .
Image caption Stephen Port allegedly invited young gay men to his flat before drugging them

"As soon as I drank it, I went unconscious," he said.

"The next thing I remember I was on the floor screaming and shouting. It was like I was going mad."

He added he was naked, did not know his own name, where he was or who he was.

"I felt like I never had any control over my body," he told jurors.

'I am sorry'

He said when he got home he called Mr Port: "I was shouting at him: 'What did you give me? What the hell did you give me, because it certainly wasn't poppers?'"

"The more angry I got, the less he answered my questions. I got the impression it was a normal thing what happened to me," he said.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Police interviewed both men at Barking train station but the alleged victim did not want to file a police report

The court heard Mr Port took him to Barking train station where the police and ambulance service were called.

During cross examination, the man said he decided not to file a police report as he was worried his parents would find out and he just wanted to go home.

He said he thought he was going to die in the flat and "if the police were not in the station, I don't know what he'd have done".

PC Alesha Owers, from British Transport Police, said Mr Port was "worried and jittery" at the station, had said the young man "arrived at his address in that state", and that he had been taking him home. He also admitted taking meth.

Jurors heard the alleged victim had told officers he had been at Mr Port's all day and had fallen asleep.

Earlier, he told the court that a couple of months later he returned to the defendant's flat where Mr Port had said "I am sorry", but he was unable to find out what he had been given.

The trial continues.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites