Murdered Tia Sharp's mother admits Lidl car park attack

Christine Bicknell (left), grandmother of murdered schoolgirl Tia Sharp, and Natalie Sharp, Tia's mother, arriving at Croydon Crown Court Image copyright PA
Image caption Christine Bicknell (left) and Natalie Sharp are on trial at Croydon Crown Court

The mother of murdered girl Tia Sharp attacked a woman after a row over a parking space, a court heard.

Natalie Sharp, 34, was accused of punching Selvete Selmani three times in the head at a south London supermarket.

At Croydon Crown Court Ms Sharp, of Canterbury Road, Morden, admitted assault by beating, on 18 April 2015, but denies racially-aggravated common assault, outside Lidl in Wallington.

Tia's grandmother, Christine Bicknell, denies racially aggravated harassment.

'Going to kill me'

The court heard Ms Bicknell, 50, of Torrington Square, Croydon, and Ms Sharp had been searching for a parking space in Lidl car park when they saw Ms Selmani stop in a mother and baby space.

Ms Selmani, from Kosovo, told the court Ms Bicknell shouted and swore at her for not having any kids as she left her car and when she was inside the store.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Tia Sharp's mother (left) and grandmother were both charged over the attack

"She saw me in the queue, she started shouting at me, 'You're foreign'," Ms Selmani said.

Ms Selmani told the court she was attacked by Ms Sharp after she later tried to flag down Ms Bicknell's car when she found a scratch on her own vehicle.

She said she thought the 34-year-old "was going to kill me" had a man not intervened.

Prosecutor Duncan Cooke told the jury Ms Sharp punched the victim, kicked her legs and grabbed her hair.

He said Ms Bicknell also got out of the car during the assault and "shouted for the victim to go back to her own country".

Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Tia Sharp was 12 when she was murdered in south-east London in August 2012
Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Stuart Hazell was jailed for 38 years in 2013 after being convicted of Tia's murder

However, Ms Selmani said the grandmother remained in the car with two children and had been "laughing".

Witness Philip Walters, told the court he was behind Ms Bicknell's car when Ms Sharp "got out of the car very quickly... and hit the woman in the face".

But he told the jury he did not hear what was said to Ms Selmani.

The trial continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites