London

Carbon monoxide poisoning killed teacher Francesca Dingley, coroner finds

Francesca Dingley Image copyright Dingley family
Image caption Francesca Dingley had moved to China to teach English

The death of a woman while she was teaching English in China was "a direct result of a leakage of carbon monoxide", a coroner has ruled.

Francesca Dingley, 22, from north London, died in a Chengdu apartment on 10 February 2015, five days after moving in to the flat.

Education First, which arranged the accommodation, said steps had been taken to prevent similar tragedies.

Barnet Coroner Andrew Walker recorded a narrative verdict.

More on this story and other news from London

The leak came from a water heater that was left running during the night, he said.

Her parents called for all travellers to carry carbon monoxide detectors.

Mark Dingley said people should carry the devices as "at least you can feel safe".

Image copyright Dingley family
Image caption The 22-year-old had moved into the apartment five days before she died

Francesca Dingley had travelled to China in January to teach with Education First.

In a statement, the company said it had "launched an immediate independent investigation" following her death.

"The priority has been to support the family", it said.

Ms Dingley's family has previously settled with the firm out of court.

Her mother Chrissy said the death was "something you never get over".

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites