London

Tube station workers' weekend strike called off by RMT union

closed tube station Image copyright Anthony Devlin/PA
Image caption Some stations would have closed until Tuesday had the strike gone ahead

A 48-hour Tube strike by station staff that was due to start on Saturday has been suspended, the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union has said.

Workers were due to walk out from 21:00 GMT in a row over jobs, pay and rosters.

The RMT said "significant progress" had been made "which has enabled us to now suspend all industrial action".

A series of separate strikes by Tube maintenance workers in a dispute over safety are still planned.

More on this story and other news from London

Some stations would have been closed from Saturday evening until Tuesday morning had the walk-out gone ahead.

A union spokesman said: "The breakthrough has been secured through the solidarity of the workforce and their willingness to take industrial action to defend jobs and safety."

London Underground (LU)'s chief operating officer said he "welcomed" the decision.

Steve Griffiths said the Tube "station modernisation programme" could now continue "meaning a more personal service for customers".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites