BBC News

Bethnal Green WW2 bomb: Experts remove unexploded device

image copyrightCrown Copyright
image captionThe MoD said the German WW2 air delivered bomb could have caused "mass destruction" if it had detonated
An unexploded World War Two bomb that prompted the evacuation of 700 people in east London has been made safe and removed by the military.
Families spent the night in a school hall after the 500lb bomb was found in the basement of a building site on Temple Street, in Bethnal Green, on Monday afternoon.
A 200m (650ft) exclusion zone was set up around the device.
Residents have been told they can now return to their homes.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the German WW2 air delivered bomb could have caused "mass destruction" if it had detonated.

'Unlike a fine wine'

A spokesman said a bomb disposal team from the Royal Logistics Corps, 621 Squadron and 11 EOD Regiment assisted the emergency services.
The bomb, which was found by contractors, was thought to have been dropped over the capital during German bombing raids in the early 1940s, but did not detonate, said the London Fire Brigade (LFB).
An Army spokesman thanked residents for their patience.
The spokesman said: "We understand the disruption this has caused but be reassured my team has been working tirelessly through the night in order to minimise the inconvenience to everyone involved.
image copyrightMinistry of Defence
image captionBomb disposal experts worked through the night at the scene
image captionThe exclusion zone was extended on Monday night
"The bomb has been in the ground for more than 70 years but unlike a fine wine does not improve with age. It is potentially more dangerous today than the day it was made."
The bomb was located in the cellar of a three-storey building, which had severely restricted access. The military had to dig around the device to neutralise the fuse using a chemical process called immunisation, the MoD said.
The military, London Fire Brigade and the Met Police helped remove the bomb at about 14:10 BST.
Beds, food, drinks, and wash bags were provided to about 150 evacuated residents at the Bethnal Green Academy on Monday evening, which was used as a rest centre.
John Biggs, the mayor of Tower Hamlets, said: "Many thanks to the emergency services who worked tirelessly with us to make the area safe as soon as possible."
image copyrightCrown Copyright
image captionThe military, London Fire Brigade and Met Police helped remove the bomb at about 14:10 BST
Last night, residents took to Twitter to share their experiences.
Rachel Walker wrote: "WWII bomb in #BethnalGreen has resurrected Blitz Spirit."
Several roads were closed and police warned of "significant traffic disruption" into the morning rush hour.
Two other unexploded bombs were discovered and safely removed from sites in London earlier this year - one in Bermondsey in March and another in Wembley in May.
image copyrightRachel Walker
image captionLocal resident Rachel Walker took this photo on Monday near her home, which is now inside the exclusion zone

Related Topics

  • Bethnal Green

More on this story

  • How much of a threat are unexploded bombs?