Alison Morrison stabbing: Man 'murdered neighbour over noise row'

Alison Morrison
Image caption Alison Morrison was attacked in Alexandra Avenue, Harrow

A woman was stabbed to death by her north London neighbour in a dispute over noise, a court has heard.

Trevor Gibbon, 48, is accused of killing Alison Morrison in December.

The day before he ambushed Ms Morrison, Mr Gibbon had pleaded guilty to harassing her family and was issued with a restraining order, the Old Bailey heard.

He denies murder but the court heard he would admit the killing but say he was suffering a mental abnormality.

Prosecutor Brian O'Neill QC said Mr Gibbon would argue he had an "abnormality of mental functioning" which impaired his ability to form rational judgment and exercise self-control.

The mother-of-one was forced to the ground and stabbed 33 times as she made her way to work on 18 December, the jury was told.

As she lay dying in the street, Ms Morrison told residents trying to help her: "Trevor Gibbon did this to me," the Old Bailey heard.

Mr Gibbon, who was armed with two knives, ran off to his car and was picked up in Lincolnshire the next morning with dried blood on his hands where he told police he was a "coward".

'Murder, nothing less'

Mr O'Neill told jurors: "That morning Trevor Gibbon was a very angry man.

"He may well have felt that Alison Morrison had gotten the better of him and had won their protracted dispute. He may well have felt the need for revenge as a result."

Mr O'Neill added it was "a planned, premeditated attack on an unarmed defenceless woman by an angry man who was out for revenge.

"This was murder, nothing less."

The dispute started in 2011 when 45-year-old Ms Morrison, her husband and their son moved next door to Mr Gibbon and his partner, Maria Perrett, in Windsor Crescent, Harrow, north-west London.

Mr Gibbon complained about the noise from the boy's skateboard and the Morrisons attempted to placate him, but nothing seemed to satisfy him, the jury was told.

Harassment letter

The prosecution said the Morrisons wanted to live in peace with their neighbours, but Mr Gibbon seemed to take almost every opportunity to escalate things.

Mr O'Neill said: "While the list of individual incidents may sound trivial, their cumulative effect was such that it had a deteriorating effect upon the health and well-being of Mr and Mrs Morrison."

Mr Gibbon and his partner refused attempts by the council and police to resolve the issues and he was issued with a prevention of harassment letter in April 2014 - which he refused to sign, the prosecution said.

The court heard on the day of the attack witnesses heard Ms Morrison scream for help and saw her attacker "slowly" stabbing her with a long-bladed knife.

The case continues.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites