Three convicted for axe killing of Paul Thrower

The defendants Image copyright Josephine McDermott
Image caption Kiro Halliburton, Zakariya Subeir and Mahdi Osman (l-r), will be sentenced on 19 December

Three teenagers who killed a man with an axe and a knife when he confronted them for abusing his girlfriend on a west London estate have been convicted.

Paul Thrower, 46, was stabbed 10 times near his home in St Dunstan's Close, Hayes, on 20 February.

Kiro Halliburton, 18, of Tollgate Drive, Hayes, was convicted of murder.

Mahdi Osman, 18, from Hoskins Close, Hayes, and Zakariya Subeir, 18, from Rockingham Road, Uxbridge, were convicted of manslaughter.

A fourth defendant, who is 17 and cannot be named because of his age, was cleared on all counts.

Heathrow arrest

Image copyright Metropolitan Police
Image caption Paul Thrower was retaliating for alleged abuse of his girlfriend

The Old Bailey heard how handyman Mr Thrower had been drinking and became enraged when his girlfriend Geraldine Roberts told him the youths swore, spat and threw a drink at her earlier that day.

When he confronted them, Subeir and Halliburton shut themselves in a bin chute on a first-floor communal balcony at St Dunstan's Close.

As Mr Thrower hammered with his fists on the glass partition, the 17-year-old found a 4ft long axe in a shed and Osman passed it up to Subeir, who had managed to get onto the roof of the adjoining porch.

The victim emerged from the bin chute covered in blood, staggering, holding the axe before he collapsed and died from a stab to the heart.

As the defendants ran away, Ms Roberts chased after them.

Subeir admitted striking Mr Thrower three times with the axe and Halliburton confessed to stabbing him, but both denied murder, claiming they had acted in self-defence.

After the attack, Halliburton fled to Leeds where he changed his appearance, shaving off his distinctive long plaited hair.

Subeir travelled to Somalia but was arrested at Heathrow airport on his return.

Image copyright Metropolitan Police
Image caption Subeir admitted striking Mr Thower three times with a 4ft long axe

Osman also went to ground and was arrested five days later.

The youths claimed they fled because they did not think they would be believed.

They will be sentenced on 19 December.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites