'Five-fold rise' in fuse board fires in London
Fires sparked by fuse boards in London have risen five-fold in the last five years, according to the city's fire service.
London Fire Brigade (LFB) said there were 253 incidents in 2013-14, compared to 54 in 2009-10.
LFB said fuse boards with faulty components, poor wiring and firms using moulded plastic, which is less fire-resistant, were among the reasons.
It urged people to check fuse boards for faults, damage and scorch marks.
The fire service also asked homeowners and landlords to check that fuse boards in their properties were on the Electrical Safety First's recall list.
A new regulation coming into force in January will make it mandatory for all fuse boards to be made from fireproof material or be in a special fireproof box.