Teenager dies after illegal rave in East Croydon

Disused sorting office at East Croydon
Image caption The party took place in a disused sorting office in East Croydon

A 15-year-old boy has died after an illegal rave in south London.

The teenager was taken ill at the event at a disused building on Cherry Orchard Road, in East Croydon.

He was taken by ambulance to hospital in the early hours of Sunday and died on Monday. Officers said they believe they know his identity, but were awaiting formal identification.

His next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course, police said.

A 19-year-old man, who was also taken ill at the event, remains in hospital in a stable condition.

Six other people who were taken to hospital with injuries have been discharged.

Missiles thrown

Officers on routine patrol noticed large numbers of people going towards the unlicensed party at about 21:40 BST on Saturday.

More than 1,000 people were gathered outside the building and up to 300 partygoers were estimated to be inside.

The officers called for additional help and cordoned off the area to stop large numbers of people from getting in, but some in the crowd became violent, the police said.

Image copyright Vicky Stewart
Image caption More than 1,000 people gathered outside the building

The window of a police van was smashed and missiles thrown at officers during the party, but the police said the decision was made to allow the event to continue.

Officers entered the building at 08:30 BST on Sunday.

A total of 14 people have been arrested in connection with the event, including nine arrested during the party.

Two men have been charged with violent disorder and drugs offences, while a 47-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were given cautions for possession of class A drugs.

Three men were also arrested on suspicion of money laundering, while a 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and a 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage. All five have been bailed.

Five men were also arrested on Monday for handling stolen goods and criminal damage offences in connection with the investigation, police said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites