Metropolitan Police detective Adele Cashman dies chasing suspect

Det Con Adele Cashman
Image caption Det Con Adele Cashman joined the Met in 2006

A Metropolitan Police officer who died while on duty in north London was chasing a suspect at the time, it has emerged.

Det Con Adele Cashman, 30, was taken to hospital after collapsing in Camden at about 21:45 GMT on Monday.

Police said a 59-year-old woman had her smartphone snatched in Haverstock Hill at about 21:30.

Two male suspects ran off and Det Con Cashman began to chase them, along with other officers.

Police said it appeared that she collapsed in Belsize Park Gardens during the chase.

'Eager officer'

The officer, based at Kentish Town police station, died at 23:10 GMT at the Royal Free Hospital.

The Met has begun an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death and a post-mortem examination will take place later.

Det Con Cashman joined the Met in 2006 and worked as a PC stationed in Wandsworth.

She transferred to Camden as a detective constable in 2010.

Paying tribute to the officer, London Mayor Boris Johnson said he was "saddened" to learn of the death.

He said: "The death of any police officer is a tragedy, the death of one so young and in pursuit of her duty is doubly tragic."

Offering his condolences to the officer's family, the mayor added: "It's small comfort I know, but they should be very proud of Adele, and the work she did serving her community."

Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe said a local resident saw the officer fall and went to help "but sadly she never recovered".

He added: "Adele was an eager officer, she was in a crime squad, she was out there chasing criminals, which is I'm sure the reason she joined.

Image caption Det Con Cashman collapsed in Belsize Park Gardens in Camden

"She was out there being brave, getting stuck in and then this great tragedy has happened. It is a terrible loss to everybody who knew her.

"I understand Adele had just returned from holiday.

"Her family must be desperately sad, particularly her parents and obviously we will try to help them cope with the tragedy of losing their daughter but there is no easy way to do that."

Commander Tony Eastaugh said the thoughts of everyone in the Met were with her family, friends and colleagues.

He said the officer, who had worked in both Camden and Wandsworth boroughs, was "held in high regard by all who met her".

Wandsworth Police said the Met police flag was at half mast outside Battersea Police Station in memory of Det Con Cashman.

Two 17-year-olds have been arrested and remain in police custody.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites