Occupy eviction: St Paul's Cathedral protest displaced

Sleeping protesters
Image caption Many of the St Paul's protesters have moved to the nearby Finsbury Square camp

A group of Occupy protesters evicted from St Paul's Cathedral have moved to a nearby camp - with one activist warning there is "more to come".

Police and bailiffs evicted the protesters, who oppose corporate greed, and removed tents just after midnight.

But hours later many could be seen in Finsbury Square, on the northern edge of the financial district.

There has been a mixed reaction to the eviction of the Occupy London group from businesses close to the cathedral.

Naba Yogarajah, who runs Portland Food and Wine, said he was relieved the protest had ended because there had been increased shoplifting.

"We had to call the police every night," he said.

'Good message'

Financier David Buik, of BGC Partners, said: "There comes a time when sympathy runs out.

"You can literally come out of the door and say, there's the barometer, it's changed.

"Gentlemen and ladies, it's time to move on."

But James Goodwin, of nearby Repro Copy Printing, said: "I'm a bit sad to see them go.

"I think they did have a good message for everyone and I don't think they caused much trouble for the local community."

Many of the evicted protesters have simply moved to their other less-well known camp in Finsbury Square, about a mile up the road.

They are unlikely to face eviction soon, with Islington Council - which owns the land - yet to begin any legal action.

Paul Randle-Jolliffe, an activist, said: "The intent was to start public debate.

Image caption Naba Yogarajah is glad to see the back of the protest

"And there's a lot more to come."

Another Occupy activist, who gave his name only as Phil, said: "What we have achieved has been phenomenal.

"We've pushed the debate into the mainstream. The economic system's been questioned."

Occupy London, which campaigns against corporate greed, set up the camp at St Paul's Cathedral on 15 October.

The campaigners lost a High Court battle which meant the eviction could proceed.

During the wrangle the Reverend Giles Fraser resigned as canon chancellor of St Paul's in support of the protesters.

Ed Thornton of the Church Times said after the eviction: "The cathedral really made efforts to reach an amicable solution.

"It's a source of regret for the cathedral that the protesters were forcibly evicted.

'Lofty ambition'

"The cathedral would've liked to have come to a more peaceful resolution."

Harry Cole, a right wing political blogger, had scorn for the protesters.

He said: "Making it through winter was always going to be a lofty ambition for this lot.

"And all they seem to have done is to lose support for their message.

"The tactics they used seemed to put people off joining them."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites