Police name man killed in East Dulwich shooting

Azezur Khan
Image caption Azezur Khan is believed to have been attending a funeral when he was shot

A man shot dead close to a funeral in south east London has been named by the police.

The 21-year-old victim of the shooting in East Dulwich was named by detectives as Azezur Khan, who was also known as Ronnie.

Police have arrested two men and two teenage girls over the shooting, in which a teenager was also wounded.

The four people arrested were taken to a south London police station and bailed to return in late November.

Mr Khan, from south east London, is believed to have been attending a funeral when he was shot near to the junction of Forest Hill Road and Rockells Place.

Next of kin have been informed and although formal identification is yet to take place, officers said they were confident the victim was Mr Khan.

The second male, thought to be in his late teens, was taken to hospital with a bullet wound to the ankle.

He was in a stable, non life-threatening condition.

Officers have been scouring bins and skips and beneath parked cars in Therapia Road for evidence.

'People running away'

Three suspects were arrested shortly after the shooting with police detaining the fourth later in the evening.

The two men arrested are both 20 and the two women are 17.

The shooting happened while the funeral of 17-year-old car crash victim Joel James Lee Morgan - also known as Jozey - was taking place.

One mourner, who did not wish to be named, said he did not think the shooting was linked to the funeral at Camberwell Old Cemetery.

A female mourner said: "People didn't know whether the noise was fireworks or not.

"We saw people on the other side of the fence running away.

"People close to the grave continued to put dirt into the ground because they couldn't really hear anything - the crowd was so thick.

"I think there were between three and six shots."

She said about 500 people had attended the funeral.

'Three gunshots'

Ian Moss, 56, owner of The Rose pub in Forest Hill Road, heard the shots from his office. He said: "I thought it was fireworks, but it turned out to be three gunshots."

He said he went outside and saw a man lying in the street, being treated by paramedics.

"People were just leaving the funeral. There were a lot of people in the street, maybe 50 to 100."

Mr Moss believed the second shooting took place in the nearby Honor Oak area soon after the first incident.

Police said detectives from Operation Trident were working with borough officers to identify the perpetrators.

Commander David Zinzan, who is responsible for policing in south-east London, said extra officers had been drafted into the area to reassure the public.

"Our priority is to bring to justice those responsible for this horrific shooting and to prevent any further incidents from occurring over the coming days," he said.

Commander Zinzan added that a significant number of witnesses had come forward.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites