London

Man burned in garage fire in Plaistow, east London

A man suffered serious burns and 200 others were evacuated when fire tore through a mechanic's garage in east London.

Flames took hold of the building in Plaistow at 1852 on Friday. The man escaped with burns to his face and hands and was taken to hospital.

Residents of nearby buildings were evacuated to a community centre.

It took more than two hours for firefighters to bring the flames under control.

The fire was complicated by the presence of gas cylinders and asbestos.

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said part of the building was destroyed.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites