London

Man held over homeless man attack death in east London

A 43-year-old man has been arrested after a homeless man died and two others were seriously injured during an attack in east London.

The Metropolitan Police said the men were thought to have been attacked near a cemetery in Buckingham Road, Ilford.

A 31-year-old man who was discovered with head injuries was pronounced dead at the scene on Thursday.

Officers found the man when they searched the area following reports that two rough sleepers had been hurt.

The pair, aged 42 and 58, were both taken to hospital with head injuries.

'Rough sleepers'

Their conditions are described as "serious".

Det Ch Insp John MacDonald said: "I believe that all three men were attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday evening while they were together near to the Buckingham Road Cemetery.

"All three were rough sleepers who frequently slept in a car park adjacent to business premises off Clark's Road near to Ilford High Road."

Officers said a man had been arrested in connection with the incidents and was being held at an east London police station.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites