Boston fire: Animals rescued from garden centre blaze

Published
Related Topics
media captionDrone footage captures Boston fire

Fire crews have tackled a major fire at a garden centre.

Large plumes of smoke were seen billowing from Johnsons Garden Centre in Fishtoft, Boston, when the fire broke out at about 11:30 BST on Sunday.

The family-run business in Lincolnshire had been closed due to the coronavirus outbreak, but the food hall remained open.

No-one was injured and staff at the pet shop based at the centre managed to get all of the animals out unharmed.

Johnsons said on its Facebook page that the food hall would reopen for business as usual on Monday.

Boston Aquatics and Pets, which is based at the centre, said: "Amidst all the craziness, we have just had a fire scare. But just to let everyone know, we managed to get all the animals evacuated safely, and all of our staff are safe."

It added in a Facebook post: "This is exactly why we have our fire escape boxes at the ready to evacuate the animals just in case of instances like these.

"Our team are so awesome for getting all the animals out so quickly, and for most importantly getting themselves out so quickly too."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

A spokesman for Johnsons said: "The fire brigade were absolute heroes in minimising the damage to the centre.

"All of the damage is right at the back of the garden centre in a small warehouse."

He added the centre was now open for essential food and pet supplies.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service said there was severe damage to some gas canisters, metal and polythene tunnels, wooden garden furniture and garden ornaments, as well as to a large amount of stock, including fish tanks and dog beds.

Follow BBC East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Send your story ideas to yorkslincs.news@bbc.co.uk.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.