Grantham recycling centre fire: Warning over toxic fumes

  • Published
Pictures from the sceneImage source, Roger Mortiss
Image caption,
Police said toxic fumes were coming from the blaze on Spittlegate Level

A fire at a recycling centre involving some 20 tonnes of plastic waste has been brought under control.

Toxic fumes were said to be coming from the blaze at Environcom in Spittlegate Level, Grantham, which broke out in the early hours of Monday.

Police were urging those living nearby to keep windows and doors closed, and plumes of thick black smoke could be seen coming from the building.

Spittlegate Level - near the A1 - was closed to traffic, with buses diverted.

An Envirocom spokesman said the fire started in the "small domestic appliances processing area" at about 07:00 GMT and all staff were evacuated safely.

The company takes in electrical appliances for repair, refurbishment or to be used for parts. Unwanted items are recycled.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

Eight fire engines were sent to the scene, with the blaze said to be under control by midday.

Dan Moss, of Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: "At the height of the fire, we had around 60-65 firefighters and we are now looking to scale those resources down, although we do still have firefighters on the scene so we can extinguish the fire fully."

Image source, Lincolnshire Fire Service
Image caption,
Plumes of black smoke were seen coming from the building

South Kesteven District Council said environmental health officers were on the scene, along with the Environment Agency.

Cris Stephenson, chief executive officer at Envirocom, said: "Cause of the fire us unknown at this stage although lithium batteries could be a likely candidate for the source."

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.