Louth smash-and-grab jewellery shop raiders jailed

CCTV footage of the robbery The men were confronted by members of the public as they tried to escape

Related Stories

Two armed robbers who were thwarted by members of the public during a smash-and-grab raid at a jewellers in Lincolnshire have been jailed.

Damion Clark, 29, and Christopher London, 25, both from Grimsby, stole jewellery and cash from Eastgate Jewellers in Louth on 24 June.

Clark, who later stabbed a man who refused to hand over his car keys, was sentenced to nine and a half years.

London, of Watford Avenue, was handed a four-year term after admitting robbery.

'High and dry'

Lincoln Crown Court heard the pair were armed with claw hammers when they entered the jewellers wearing crash helmets and started smashing display cabinets.

Their escape was first hindered by the shop's owner, Julie Smith, who locked them inside and then ran to her flat upstairs.

Damion Clark and Christopher London The men were described in court as "serious criminals"

The raiders chased her and forced her to open the doors but were then confronted by members of the public as they tried to flee the scene.

Jon Straw, prosecuting, said the two robbers were left "high and dry".

He told the court: "While they were inside trying to effect the robbery the people of the town banded together and the motorbike they intended to use for their escape was pushed over by a passerby and the keys taken."

CCTV footage of the robbery in Louth The robbers were forced to flee on foot after their getaway motorbike was knocked over

Mr Straw said the two robbers split up and Clark fled to the Queen Street car park where motorist Eric Chapman refused to hand over his car keys, despite being stabbed in the eyebrow with a knife.

Clark was then detained by other members of the public as he ran away.

London fled to a primary school where he was confronted by the deputy head teacher and was caught by police after being told to leave.

Speaking after sentencing, Det Con Becky Manson, who worked on the case, said: "London and Clark did not reckon on public spirit and were thwarted by the community."

Clark, of Little Coates Road, admitted robbery, unlawful wounding and trying to take a car. His sentence was made up of six years' imprisonment with three and half years' extended licence.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Lincolnshire


301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.


Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.