Fatal Sutton Bridge bungalow fire 'caused by cigarette'

Firefighters at the bungalow
Image caption Neighbours had helped Ms Hurst's daughter to escape by the time firefighters arrived at the scene

A bungalow fire which killed a 70-year-old woman in Lincolnshire is thought to have been caused by a discarded cigarette, an inquest has heard.

Pauline Hurst was found dead inside her home in Prince's Street, Sutton Bridge, after emergency services were called there at about 07:40 GMT on Saturday.

Maureen Taylor, coroner for Boston and Spalding, opened an inquest on Tuesday.

Ms Hurst's cause of death is not yet known and the inquest was adjourned for further reports.

Neighbours helped Ms Hurst's daughter to escape from the bungalow.

The woman, who is in her 40s and is believed to have Down's syndrome, was taken to hospital for checks.

Investigators said the fire could have smouldered for several hours before the alarm was raised.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites