Leicester

Antifreeze kills cats on Melton Mowbray street, RSPCA says

Meereen Image copyright RSPCA
Image caption Meereen's "devastated" owner said the cat was "foaming from the mouth" before she died

Five cats have died from antifreeze poisoning on or near the same street in the space of two weeks, the RSPCA has said.

The charity said tests confirmed all of the cats near Victor Avenue, in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, had ingested the toxic substance.

In the most recent case, seven-month-old Meereen died on Monday.

An RSPCA spokesman said it was unclear whether the poisonings were accidental or deliberate.

Updates on this story and more from Leicestershire

Three other cats in the area have died in the last seven days, while another cat died two weeks ago.

'Foaming from mouth'

Meereen's "devastated" owner, Adria Pearce, said the cat came home on Friday evening and "seemed to be shivering a little".

"I haven't been able to stop crying since she died," she said.

"We found her behind the sofa, where she was foaming from the mouth and trying to be sick."

Meereen was taken to the vets - where it was confirmed she had consumed antifreeze - and died three days later.

Image copyright Google
Image caption The RSPCA said it was unclear whether the poisonings were accidental or deliberate

RSPCA inspector, Andy Bostock, is appealing for everyone in the area to ensure pesticides and chemicals were stored safely.

"We are very concerned," he said.

"It is the time of year where people use antifreeze in their cars, so if you do, please make sure there are no leaks and any spills are cleaned up properly."


Antifreeze and cats

  • Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which forms crystals inside the animals, damaging kidney tissue and causing kidney failure
  • Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting and appearing groggy
  • Signs of poisoning can be spotted just 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical
  • Some people believe cats are attracted to the taste of antifreeze, while others believe they mistake it for water
  • There has been debate over whether manufacturers should make the products taste bitter to put animals off drinking it
  • If you suspect your cat has been poisoned, you should take it to the vet, along with a sample of what it may have consumed, the RSPCA said.

More on this story